Sports has done more than just entertainment to us. Sport is being use to build great economic systems in the world. The revenue gotten from sports increases a country’s economic growth.
As a tool for socio-economic change, studies have shown that professional sports contributes 1% United States Gross Domestic Product.
Although they’re different types and kinds of sports, we’ve researched and come up with the top 10 most popular sports in the world. The criteria of the popularity of these sports is the number of its fan base, TV views, gender equality and sponsorship deals.
Are you ready? Hope your favorite sport gets included.
1. Football (Soccer)
- Fan base: 4 Billion Fans
- Areas of most popularity: Worldwide!
- Top Sponsors: Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Nike, Quartar Airways, Adidas etc.
Football is the most popular sport in the world. It consists of two teams of 11 players in a rectangular field trying to get or prevent the ball from entering the goal post.
It is the world most watched sport. The FIFA World Cup is the worldwide football tournament. Both male and female plays in the sport. It is also the highest paid sport in the world.
- Fan base: 2.5 Billion Fans
- Areas of most popularity: Australia, South Africa, Far east Asia etc.
- Top Sponsors: Varies
Cricket women players have become more popular within the recent years despite the male players dominate the sport.
3. Hockey (Field & Ice Hockey)
- Fan base: 2 Billion worldwide
- Areas most popular: USA, Canada and Northern Europe.
- Top Sponsors: Reebok, Gatorade etc.
Hockey is an amazing sport that has both male and female plays the sport.
- Fan base: 1 Billion worldwide
- Areas most popular: Worldwide
- Top Sponsors: Rolex, Adidas, Nike, Audemars Piguet etc.
Tennis (or lawn tennis) is a very vigorous sport and has a billion fans all over the world. Tennis is an all gender inclusive sport.
- Fan base: 900 Million worldwide
- Areas most popular: America(North and South), Australia, Asia and Western Europe.
- Top Sponsors: Dick’s Sporting Goods and Mikasa.
Volleyball is one of the most fast rising sport, however, it is less televised. Both male and female plays are on this sport.
6. Table Tennis
- Fan base: 875 Million worldwide
- Areas most popular: America, Africa, Europe and Asia
- Top Sponsors: Autohome and Sports Master
Table Tennis (also called ping pong) has its origin in England.
- Fan base: 825 Million worldwide
- Areas most popular: Worldwide
- Top Sponsors: Nike etc.
Basketball was invented by James Naismith; an American- Canadian. It is played by 2 teams and is so popular all around the world.
Basketball is an all gender inclusive sport and the female players are thriving in the sport.
- Fan base: 500 Million worldwide
- Areas most popular: US, Carribeans and East Asia.
- Top Sponsors: Chevrolet and MasterCard
Male players are more than their female counterparts in this sport.
- Fan base: 475 Million worldwide
- Areas most popular: Australia, UK, New Zealand etc.
- Top Sponsors: Heineken, DHL, MasterCard etc.
Rugby is a sport similar to American Football. The only difference is that in American Football, there are more protective equipment to wear, like the helmet and shoulder pads.
During the Rugby world cup, many top brands sponsor the sport massively ,hence, building it’s popularity. Rugby is an all gender inclusive sport.
- Fan base: 450 Million worldwide
- Areas most popular: North America, Asia and Europe
- Top Sponsors: Adidas, Nike, Rolex, BMW etc.
To play golf, golfers have to strike and put the ball into the hole.
Golf is an all gender inclusive sport.
Thanks to sport, we come together to play, watch and entertain yourself. As well as the positive change, sports does to the economy. Sports has been used to bring peace and cooperation between two and more countries.
Now there’s the list of the top ten most popular sports in the world. Hope your favorite sport was mentioned? What rank is it?